Dublin for the weekend


A couple of weeks ago I visited Dublin for the first time and I wanted to share the highlights of some of the bookish locations we visited. Dublin is known for its rich literary heritage and is also known as an official UNESCO City of Literature. You really notice this when you walk through the city. I came across literary quotes written on walls (James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, etc.), there are multiple museums with a focus on Ireland's literary heritage, several libraries, and of course there were lots and lots of excellent independent bookshops.












My two favourite bookshops were Books Upstairs and the Winding Stair Bookshop. Both of these shops had very friendly staff and a large section dedicated to Irish authors. The general stock of the shops was excellent and I could have bought every single book on display (if only...).






One sight I was most excited about seeing was the famous Trinity College Library. This was one of the highlights of my visit. When I walked up the stairs to the old library I was welcomed by the scent of thousands of old books. I always thought I didn't love this scent until I stepped into the library. It was magical to walk through this immense place stacked to the ceiling with books. I particularly liked the display of books by Irish women writers, which included the book The Most Unfortunate Day of My Life by Maria Edgeworth.





We also went to pay a visit to the Oscar Wilde house, which is strangely enough the American College of Dublin at present.


Lastly we visited the Dublin Writers Museum, which was quite an old-fashioned museum but fun nonetheless. I really enjoyed learning more about Ireland's literary scene and the writers who contributed to the Irish literary heritage.


I loved Dublin and its rich literary history and hotspots. I can see myself coming back there to do some more bookshopping for sure!
Have you visited Dublin? If so, what are your favourite hotspots (bookish or non-bookish)?


With bookish love, 

Ps. If you're curious about the books I bought, I posted them here!

2 comments

  1. Someone told me I need to visit Dublin a few days ago, and even then I was convinced. This post has made me even more so! It looks like such a beautiful place, and your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashleigh! I really loved the city and its atmosphere and people. If you get the chance to go, please do because I think you'd really enjoy it. And the bookshops are of course excellent! xx

      Delete